Music files stored on an Apple iMac or MacBook can be accessed by Bluesound using SMB File Sharing. File Sharing however is not enabled by default. You can manually alter these settings by following the commands listed in these Screenshots; BluOS MacOS.pdf.
Once completed, in The BluOS App, select Network Shares from the Settings, Music Library Menu to add shares.
Use the Local Shares Wizard for macOS
The BluOS App for macOS can easily locate files on a PC and create a share with to listen to Local Music with Bluesound using the Local Shares Wizard. If you have not done so already, download and install the BluOS Controller App for macOS from www.bluesound.com/downloads. Once installed, you can use the Local Shares Wizard to easily add files to the BluOS Local Library. Here's how;
- Open the BluOS App for macOS
- Select Settings, Music Library, Local Shares to launch the wizard
- Select Add Folder
- Select Browse and find the folder you wish to add and press Select from the browse window
- Press Next in the wizard
- Press Authenticate to adjust user permissions
- If prompted that changes will be made or authentication is required, approve these changes by saying yes or entering an administrative password
- Select Finish - The folder will be added and BluOS will begin an Index to update the Library
- Press + to repeat and add additional folders or x to close the wizard
The Local Shares Wizard is only available in the BluOS for Windows and macOS. The wizard can only share folders physically connected to the local PC such as the internal drive or an attached USB drive. To connect files stored on a Network Accessible Storage (NAS) device, please consult the NAS documentation and enable public Windows File Sharing. Once completed, in The BluOS App, select Network Shares from the Settings, Music Library Menu to add shares.
High Sierra Users (macOS 10.13.x)
If you encounter difficulties connecting a share that is a sub-folder of a system folder such as Music\iTunes or Downloads\New Songs, try sharing the parent system folder Music or Downloads with identical permissions of the sub-folder. Once connected to and indexed as a Local Library, you may remove sharing of the parent directory as a personal security preference.
To identify your version of macOS, from the Apple menu in the top left, select About This Mac.
- Please also checkout BLS-KB15-118 if your are successful but your songs do not appear.
- If after making changes and Shares cannot be discovered or fail to connect, other 3rd party security software such may be interfering. Please confirm with your 3rd party security software documentation