Install The Alexa Skills
BluOS Players will require a set of Alexa Skills to be added. This process should be familiar to most Amazon Alexa users.
- Open the Amazon Alexa App on your tablet or smartphone. Windows or macOS Users, please visit https://alexa.amazon.com/
- From the settings menu, select Skills or Skills & Games depending on your device
- Search for BluOS
- Select BluOS Voice Control page
- Select Enable
Now switch to the BluOS App. Please keep in mind Amazon Alexa credentials do not replicate. Each BluOS Player that you want to control with Alexa, needs to be individually added. These steps will have to be followed for each Bluesound Player that voice is desired.
- Open the BluOS App
- Select the desired Player in the Player Selection drawer
- In the Navigation drawer, select Music Services, Amazon Alexa, Login
- You can change the room name here if necessary (as described above) - This will change the room name in your Player selection drawer as well.
- Enter your Amazon credentials that you use for Alexa and check Keep me signed in
- When prompted select Allow to enable BluOS on Alexa
- Once returned to the BluOS App, repeat the above 4 steps for each and every player you wish to enable voice control on
To initiate the setup of your Alexa device with your Bluesound Player, give Alexa the following command: "Alexa, talk to Blue Voice"
If not already done, now may be a good time to rename all Players from the default names to more user-friendly identifiable and pronounceable room names. Alexa will draw from Amazon's extensive and ever-growing list of room names. If you are using a proper name in your room name, Alexa may have problems identifying the room. Please stick to generic room names such as those listed below.
Alexa, ask BluVoice to...
The BluOS Voice Skill requires an invocation word to allow for maximum flexibility with Amazon Alexa allowing you to continue to use some of the unique features of BluOS and also to allow even older legacy BluOS players such as the original Bluesound Vault to be used with Alexa.
All commands using the BluOS Voice Control skill should start 'Alexa, ask Blue Voice to...' or 'Alexa, Tell Blue Voice to...'.
...do what where.
Give Alexa details on what you want to do with BluVoice. A detailed list of commands and variations is available to download at the bottom of this article. Here however are some quick pointers and tips to get you started.
Provide Alexa with an action to perform. You can tell Blue Voice to;
- Turn up the volume...
- Turn down the volume...
What do you want to hear? You can specify from saved options, genres and even combine a music service.
- ...play preset 3...
- ...the playlist 'Dinner Party'...
- ...retro music on Tidal...
Finish off the phrase by specifying the location or room.
String it all together to hear what you want;
- Alexa, ask Blue Voice to play preset 1 in the Kitchen
- Alexa, tell Blue Voice to pause in the Den
- Alexa, tell Blue Voice to play new music from Tidal in the Living Room
- Alexa, ask Blue Voice to turn up the volume in the Living Room
- Alexa, ask Blue Voice to shuffle the Dining Room
What's Playing? Group It!
Not sure what you are listening to? Query Alexa;
- Alexa, ask Blue Voice what is playing in the Bedroom?
- Alexa, ask Blue Voice what station am I on in the Kitchen.
- Alexa, tell Blue Voice to clear the queue in the Den
You can even group Bluesound;
- Alexa ask Blue Voice to group the Living Room and Dining Room
- Alexa ask Blue Voice to add Kitchen to the group Living Room
- Alexa ask Blue Voice to remove Kitchen from the group
- Alexa Ask Blue Voice to Group All Rooms
Tips and Tricks
- To avoid using the Player Name repeatedly, set a default Player; Alexa ask Blue Voice to set Living Room as the Default Player
- Spotify Connect cannot be used with Alexa
- TuneIn Stations cannot be selected but can be programmed as presets
- Input Sources such as Optical Input or Bluetooth cannot be selected but can be programmed as a preset
The Magic of Presets
Take full advantage of BluOS's ability to store 40 presets to create easy-to-access moods or scenes for any occasion. Just a reminder, here is How To Create a Preset.
Full Listing of Commands
Here is a full listing of phrases used by The BluOS Voice Control; BluOS Alexa Skill Guide v2
- BluOS Voice Control Skills is available in the following languages;
- English (AU)
- English (CA)
- English (IN)
- English (UK)
- English (US)
- Below is a detailed list of commands available to be used with The BluOS Voice Control Skill
- Amazon Alexa requires Playback, Autofill turned ON
- Separate Amazon Accounts on separate Alexa's may be used on separate Players on the same network